Friday, July 21, 2006

Trees Along the Lieutenant River

Trees Along the Lieutenant River,16x20, oil
$500, unframed

The Lieutenant River in Old Lyme runs behind the Florence Griswold Museum of American Impressionism. That is where I was on Wednesday with a plein air painting group from the Madison Art Society. It was about 9:00 AM, hot with a hazy sky and I was struck by the contrast between the dark mass of tree foliage and the light sky, water and saltmarsh behind them. This was a hard piece to photograph, the dark colors in the tree mass are reading to jumpy and seperate and the sky and water are actually lighter. But this is a reasonable likeness and I though you'd like to see what I've been up to anyway. Looks like rain, rain, rain this weekend....I will try to get out though even if the weather isn't great. It's already July 21 st where is the summer going????




No comments: