Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Flower-a-Day: Dutch Iris

Dutch Iris, 6x8, oil/panel
$100,unframed, free shipping in the US
pay safely with paypal

June is a wonderful month in the garden (when it's not raining!). Now there are so many choices of what to paintit's hard to decide. Today I chose to paint the yellow and white Dutch Iris, I think they look like butterflies. I was serenaded by the wrens that are nesting in the birdhouse in this particular flower boarder and I was delighted to see a ruby throated hummingbird enjoying the catmint. I've switched over to a new type of panel since I've run out of my RayMar oil primed linen panels. These are some I've made myself, 1/4 in. hardboard (masonite) primed with Art Spectrum Pastel primer in Blue Haze, and then lightly sanded. Although this primer is marketed as a pastel surface it works quite well with oil, acrylic and a number of other mediums. This surface is more "grabby" than the oil primed linen so when you lay a stroke down it stays put. It's a nice change and I think I will stay with this surface for a while, a least on these small format pieces.







No comments: