Sunday, June 11, 2006

Clearing Skies


Clearing Skies, 16x20, 0il/panel
$500, unframed
After a rainy morning and a so-so afternoon the skies finally began to clear in the early evening. I was so thrilled to see the sun that after dinner I threw my easel in the car and headed down to the beach. It was about 6pm when I started this painting. The sun was shining as the dark rain clouds were moving off to the north east. There was also a very stiff breeze. I had to weigh down my French easel with my paint box and totebag and hold onto it with one hand while I painted. I also had to have my hat (which has a wide brim and a camoflague pattern) pulled waaaay down because of the low angle of the sun. I'm sure I was a sight to see LOL But it was worth it, when I look at my painting it really gives me the feeling of what that moment was like. Ah, the joys of plein air painting!







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What incredible rendering of light! So impressive, Jan.

Jan Blencowe said...

Oh Thank you Laura!!
Jan