Sunday, May 28, 2006

Martin Houses

Martin Houses,16x20,oil/canvas
$500, unframed
After the fog burned off Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day. This was painted at Hammonasset State Park in Madison, late in the afternoon between 3:30 and 6:30. I was having a wonderful time painting until the wind shifted and came up under my umbrella and lifted my French easel off the ground and the painting fell forward and I got sky in my hair LOL.
After that happened a second time (!!) I decided to take down the umbrella and deal with the glare.
These are purple martin houses. Martins are sociable and like to live together in apartment style houses. They're very beneficial because they eat mosquitoes. To learn more about purple martins visit the Purple Martin Conservation Association.







No comments: