Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Flower-a-Day: Inspired by Van Gogh

Flowering Orchard, 6x8, oil on linen
plein air painting
$100,unframed
pay safely w/credit card through PAYPAL
Van Gogh is my all time favorite artist, has been for more than 20 years. His sunflowers, iris and starry night are very well known. But some of my favorite paintings are his
orchard series. After looking through this collection of paintings again I was inspired to paint the flowering fruit trees in my yard with a touch of Van Gogh added. There's lots of paint on this little panel and it was really quite a challenge to make all those loose bold brushstrokes work together. It's always a learning experience when you try to emulate the masters. This summer I'll be teaching a class in which the students will be actually copying masterworks, I'm looking forward to that and intend to do a few copies myself before the class begins to show my students. I'll put a link here so you can watch my progress!




No comments: