Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Essex Windmill, 14x18, oil/canvas
Plein air painting is often a matter of mother nature cooperating with the artist. Especially when it comes to weather conditions. Sunday's very windy weather sent me home early and with a painting that was not quite complete (and red paint in my hair, don't ask!). It's always a tricky business to complete a painting in the studio from a memory of the place, even photos aren't much of a help and are more likely to be a hinderance. Thanks to some wonderful artists friends who offered honest critique about this piece I was able to bring it to a satisfactory conclusion, though it gave me quite a bit of grief along the way. This is such a charming subject with an old world feel I'm certain I'll re-visit this windmill again when the weather is more likely to cooperate.

No comments: