Monday, August 14, 2006

Single Susan

Single Susan, 12x12, oil/panel
$300, unframed
Black Eyed Susans are one of the joys of the late summer garden! Sunny and cheerful I always find them a delight. These along with Purple Coneflower always bring goldfinches to my garden and I love seeing them with their bright yellow feathers and black markings. This piece is bigger than my normal flower-a-day size. I thought it would be interesting to really focus in on one single blossom in a larger than life size rather than try to capture a mass of them. I rather like the way this came out with the swirling dappled light in the background and the bold light and color on the petals. Enjoy!!








2 comments:

"van Vliet" Art Blog said...

Nice strong painting of a fabulous flower. I always admire the presense these flowers have in my own garden.

Jan Blencowe said...

Thanks so much, these are some of my favorite flowers this time of year too.