Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Heron's Home
9x12, oil/linen panel
Warmer temperatures and rain this past week have erased all traces of snow and ice from the marsh. It was just above freezing this afternoon and a fine day for painting. While I was painting a pair of gorgeous blue heron came to visit me. Herons are usually very shy, but since I was standing still and quietly painting I think their curiosity must have gotten the best of them. They circled over me then flew out over the marsh and came back and circled me again. After doing this for 10 or 15 minutes they settled down to roost in some trees and watch me paint!! This is one of the many wonderful encounters with nature that I've had while out painting, and one of the reasons I like painting outdoors so much.
Gloaming--the sky holds
the still pale grey of a heron,
watchful among the tide-pools of the shore.
Kathleen Jamie from The Heron

No comments: